This raw recipe is a good way to add more vegetables to your diet, and to show you that cooking them is not the only way to eat them.
Raw noodles are huge in the natural foods world, commonly made of zucchini and called “zoodles”. They are a great way to consume more vegetables, and are an easy and healthy pasta alternative for those who want to stay away from gluten and can’t find many good quality gluten-free options at the store.
These noodles can be made with a special appliance called “spiralizer”, but you can still make them even if you don’t have this specialized equipment. As I mentioned in a previous blog post, you can use a mandolin or a vegetable peeler for this task. For this particular recipe, feel free to coarsly grate the sweet potatoes instead if that’s easier, as this is more of a salad anyway and the result won’t be that different.
Many people who are new to this raw foods trend don’t know that you can use all kinds of different vegetables to make raw noodles, and that you don’t have to limit yourself to zucchini only. As you can see here, sweet potatoes are a great option too. And my local grocery store even sells ready-to-eat beet, cucumber, and carrot noodles in case you’re looking for more ideas.
Before immersing myself in the healthy foods world completely, I had no clue that you could eat sweet potatoes without cooking them. Now I know it’s perfectly okay to do it, and you can also add them to your juices! (I need to share a recipe soon).
I got the inspiration to make this salad from a sweet potato noodle dish my mom prepared a while back (I need to share that recipe too. So many ideas, so many ideas!) This dish is very tasty and I think it’s a delicious way to introduce you to this fascinating and versatile world of vegetable noodles.
|Raw Sweet Potato Salad|| |
- For the salad:
- ½ medium sweet potato, peeled
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup chopped dates
- ½ cup chopped oranges
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- For the dressing:
- 1 cup plain coconut yogurt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Make the sweet potato noodles with a spiralizer, a mandolin, a vegetable peeler, or simply coarsely grating them.
- Mix all the salad ingredients in a bowl, and all the dressing ingredients in another bowl. Mix well.
- Pout the dressing on the salad and mix well.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate until serving time.
Léelo en Español.