This is a healthy version of my favorite dish: pasta with pesto. It’s raw, vegan, and gluten-free.
Every Monday I try to share a vegan recipe so you can be a part of the Meatless Mondays movement if you aren’t a vegetarian or a vegan yet. If you do eat meat, I really recommend you start working on lowering your intake, making it more of a condiment than a main dish (or “condimeat”, as Dr. Mark Hyman calls it). Another great thing you can do for your health is to drop animal products altogether at least one day per week. That is what Meatfree Mondays are all about.
This recipe is is a raw vegan take on my favorite dish of all time: pasta with pesto. You make it raw by using noodles made out of zucchini (also known as “zoodles”) or any other veggies (like these sweet potato noodles, for example). You can also use brown rice noodles or other gluten-free whole grain noodles if you prefer, and it will still be pretty healthy.
To make it vegan, the cheese is replaced by nuts and/or nutritional yeast. I also sometimes add avocado to the mix the make the sauce more creamy. Don’t have a spiralizer? Don’t sweat it. This is the equipment usually used to make raw noodles easily at home, but in this other post I teach you how to make them with a simple vegetable peeler or a mandolin.
|Raw Vegan Pasta with Pesto|| |
- 1 medium zucchini or summer squash (or half of each)
- ¼ cup cashews or pine nuts
- ½ shallot or ¼ onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 cup basil
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Soak the cashews in water overnight or for a few hours. Drain when ready to use. (You don't need to do this if using pine nuts)
- Cut the zucchini and/or summer squash lengthwise in thin strips, with a mandolin or vegetable peeler (or make zoodles with a spiralizer).
- Mix all the other ingredients except the raw noodles, in a blender until creamy. (Add 2-4 tablespoons water if needed)
- Taste for seasoning.
- Pour the cream over the noodles and mix everything until the raw pasta is soaked in the sauce.
- Serve in a bowl and decorate with basil leaves, cherry tomatoes, and avocados slices on top (optional).
Wishing you health & happiness,
Want more recipes and personalized guidance? Visit my coaching page to see how we could work together.